Apprenticeships in Ontario for International Students

Home | Education Pathways for International Students in Ontario | Apprenticeships in Ontario for International Students

An apprenticeship is a special type of educational pathways that involves “hands-on” learning that leads to becoming a qualified tradesperson.  An apprenticeship requires attending classes for approximately 10% of the time and the remaining 90% of the time is spent working on a job site to gain practical skills and experience under the guidance of a certified journeyperson in a particular trade.   Most apprenticeships require 2-3 years to complete.  This form of training develops highly skilled workers who generally obtain jobs that are in high demand and well-paying.  There are over 150 recognized trades in Ontario.

Listing of Skilled trades, grade completion requirement, and length of time to qualify as a journeyperson:

Apprenticeship Pathway Infographic

In School

On the Job

Certificate of Apprenticeship


Certification of Qualification

Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)

Secondary school students may have the option of applying to OYAP in Grades 11 or 12, and through co-operative education credits work towards starting an apprenticeship program.  If this program is of interest, contact a school Guidance Counsellor.  More information is available at:

New Study Permit Regulations

New rules that take effect on June 1, 2014, make it easier for study permit holders to work off campus. Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution will be:

  • eligible to work off campus without a work permit
  • allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks
  • able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

For more

Get a student work

Need more information about apprenticeships in Ontario?